Re: [linux-audio-user] RME is no more

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] RME is no more
From: Jan Depner (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 01:50:57 EET

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 17:14, Hans Fugal wrote:
> We've seen some arguments for and against opening drivers. I'd like to
> point out that ESR has written about this as an afterword to his essay
> "The Magic Cauldron", which you can read here:
>
> Afterword: Why Closing a Driver Loses Its Vendor Money
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/magic-cauldron/ar01s18.html
>
> FWIW.

OK, I read that. It doesn't say much about "Why Closing a Driver Loses
Its Vendor Money" other than you won't get outside help with your
driver. It says plenty about why trying to steal someone else's open
driver will lose you money. The two are not synonymous. I'd prefer to
have open drivers but, if I have to have certain features to do my job
(not run xscreensavers), I'll continue to buy NVIDIA cards. As the
saying goes "wish in one hand and defecate in the other and see which
one fills up first".

Jan