[linux-audio-user] can't get jack working in SuSE 9.1

Subject: [linux-audio-user] can't get jack working in SuSE 9.1
From: Robert Persson (ireneshusband_AT_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 03:03:18 EET

I am having a lot of trouble getting Jack working under SuSE 9.1

It is very hard to keep track of the problem because the symptoms seem to
change every now and then for no reason I can fathom, and because I have had
other problems configuring soundcards in the past most (but not all) of which
seem to have mysteriously sorted themselves out for no apparent reason.
Therefore I will just give you for now a snapshot of the problem in its
current (though fairly typical) manifestation for the sake of brevity.

First of all you might need to know the following:
1. The problem has occurred with both the kernels I have used, each compiled
from different (non-suse) sources.
2. I have 2 soundcards: an on-motherboard i810 and an Audigy 2. Only the
Audigy 2 seems to work at the moment, although I would prefer it if both did.
In the past various Linux installers have got them mixed up and caused a lot
of pain and silence, including suse 9.1. Why suse 9.1 turned round and got
it right the second time is completely beyond me.
3. I have been very careful to avoid arts-jack conflicts while
troubleshooting.
4. The Agnula DeMuDi live CD got Jack working with the Audigy 2 card and I
was able to make silly noises with it and route signals to my heart's content
on the very same hardware. This is a variant of the Knoppix method for
proving that on any given machine Windows is useless and not the machine.
SuSE isn't useless, but it's been damn annoying in many ways.

OK. So now to tell you what has been happening between me and Jack today:

1. I start qjackctl. As always, MIDI works but sound doesn't, and I get the
following output:
15:35:56.092 Statistics reset.
15:35:56.331 Startup script...
15:35:56.332 killall artsd
15:35:56.385 MIDI connection graph change.
15:35:56.900 Startup script terminated successfully.
15:35:56.901 JACK is starting...
15:35:56.901 /usr/bin/jackd -R -t500 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p512 -n2
15:35:56.905 JACK was started with PID=16459 (0x404b).
jackd 0.94.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|512|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|rt|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 512 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
JACK: unable to mlock() port buffers: Cannot allocate memory
cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)
cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)
15:35:57.107 MIDI connection change.
15:35:59.117 Could not connect to JACK server as client.
15:36:10.502 Could not connect to JACK server as client.

2. I try sudo qjackctl and I get the following output:
15:41:35.712 Statistics reset.
15:41:35.938 Startup script...
15:41:35.939 killall artsd
15:41:35.996 MIDI connection graph change.
15:41:36.508 Startup script terminated successfully.
15:41:36.508 JACK is starting...
15:41:36.509 /usr/bin/jackd -R -t500 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p512 -n2 -s -S -i2
-o2
15:41:36.513 JACK was started with PID=16502 (0x4076).
jackd 0.94.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|512|2|48000|2|2|nomon|swmeter|soft-mode|
16bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 512 frames, buffer = 2 periods
15:41:36.715 MIDI connection change.
15:41:38.729 Server configuration saved to "/home/robert/.jackdrc"
15:41:38.730 Statistics reset.
15:41:38.805 Client activated.
15:41:38.806 Audio connection change.
15:41:38.809 Audio connection graph change.

3. I run qjackctl again as a normal user and I get the following output
(different from before for some reason I can't fathom):
15:50:13.168 Statistics reset.
15:50:13.415 Startup script...
15:50:13.416 killall artsd
15:50:13.472 MIDI connection graph change.
artsd: no process killed
15:50:13.985 Startup script terminated with exit status=256.
15:50:13.986 JACK is starting...
15:50:13.986 /usr/bin/jackd -R -t500 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p512 -n2 -s -S -i2
-o2
15:50:13.990 JACK was started with PID=16590 (0x40ce).
jackd 0.94.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
cannot create shm segment /jack-engine (Permission denied)
cannot create engine control shared memory segment (Permission denied)
cannot create engine
15:50:14.003 JACK was stopped successfully.
15:50:14.004 Shutdown script...
15:50:14.004 artsd &
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:549:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken
pipe
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:549:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken
pipe
15:50:14.193 MIDI connection change.
15:50:14.513 Shutdown script terminated successfully.
15:50:16.202 Could not connect to JACK server as client.

In each case I have tried to start a jack application (e.g. Hydrogen) and got
a warning that I would get no sound. What's more, the warning was in each
case correct and I did indeed get no sound.

To add to all this, earlier today I tried changing the sound server settings
in the KDE control centre and every time I did anything X froze completely
and I had to CTRL-ALT-BKSP out of it. However I seem finally to have
succeeded in getting arts to choose jack rather than alsa as the audio
device, but I don't really have a clue how I did it, and I have no less or
more audio functionality than before.

Erm... Any ideas on how to get jack being nice with my Audigy driver and the
jack clients?

Many thanks
Robert

P.S. I have just joined the list, but I have already used the archives on a
number of occasions and so I would like to thank all of you for making this
resource so useful.

P.P.S. Nice one Brazil. The Brazillian popular music repertory as a public
archive: that stuff is far more important than the Louvre. It should become
the flagship UNESCO World Heritage Website or there's no justice in the
World. Yeah. I know there actually isn't much justice in the world, but I
can still believe in it can't I?

--
Robert Persson is powered by Linux.