Re: [linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]
From: Marek Peteraj (marpet_AT_naex.sk)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 06:10:05 EET

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 02:42, Ryan Gallagher wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 00:55 +0100, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 20:14, Ryan Gallagher wrote:
> > Linux users are still a minority and linux audio users
> > > an even smaller one, downright miniscule. We should try to stay "real"
> > > in estimating our tiny presence in this huge industry.
> >
> > Ok let's get this straight. ;)
> >
> > (why do we always underestimate ourselves)
>
> Come on... reality check. The mail lists for
> Avid->DigiDesign->Pro-Tools alone dwarf LAU.

Can i see the numbers? :)

Can't tell really but the activity on rme forums is comparable to LAU.
Which would mean that they have 1200 customers. Certainly not, but it's
also not 500.000 customers, at least i doubt it.

Also, it's digidesign. And 200.000 other companies that sell audio hw.
Very tough competition. Compared to linux audio where there's almost no
competition.

> The linux-audio market isn't a fly-fart in sulfur mine to these 2nd tier
> companies (m-audio et. al.). They're competing for crumbs from the
> giant's (digidesign) lap anyway.

This is no evidence to me. That they don't realise it is just their
fault. And it's our fault that we don't realise it too.

> > Suppose that each city and perhaps a fairly large town in the US and
> > Europe has got at least *one* linux audio user.
> >
> > Likely? I think so :)
> >
> > How much users would that be? Hundreds? More?
>
> Hundreds. And the money we (LAU's) spend on audio gear in a year per
> company wouldn't pay the salary of the person who pushes "send" on the
> "we don't plan support" emails for a month.

How many sold units per year do you estimate for a company such as RME
or MAudio? It's not fresh bread, the numbers are pretty low, the prices
pretty high.

http://www.audioscience.com/internet/news/press20000.htm

> > Now let's look at the "tiny" linux audio market. Ask everyone what unit
> > he has got. I bet it's going to be 2/3rd RME 1/3 Maudio.
>
> I'd venture to guess that if EVERY LAU signed a petition to support only
> one company in return for drivers/support... it'd mean nothing.

I don't think so.

> To be
> honest, I'm grateful for any "support" official or otherwise we get.
> IMO it's a cheritible act for these profit driven (not meant in a
> negative way) manufacturers to spend/risk revenue on what is still
> largely a hobby OS (speaking of linux desktop/audio here only).

I'm only grateful for the support audioscience is giving and any other
such support.

> Bottom line, these companies are not stupid. They know where the money
> is, and it ain't on LAU. If it were, they'd be here too.

As said. No evidence. They would have to show me a linux audio market
survey. Which i bet they don't have at all. They don't even know the
current state of linux audio. They don't give a flying f*.

Marek