Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: RME is no more

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: RME is no more
From: Rob (lau_AT_kudla.org)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 17:51:12 EET

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 08:30, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> Lots of people stop eating meat or send letters to food
> producers insisting that they comply with vegetarian
> principles. As a result, there are many food products having a
> 'suitable for vegetarians' sticker on them.The fight over
> revealing ingredients was aslo one such fight.

Unfortunately, that's a poor analogy as manufacturers only list
ingredients because they're required to do so by law. Much as
it'd tickle me to see proprietary software made illegal, I think
that would be a very bad idea.

However, I do think that pro audio is a small enough market
(compared to other computer hardware, or for that matter food ;)
) that keeping after the companies with POLITE letters
explaining that you'd love to (use|continue to use) their
products but you can't because they don't work with your OS will
eventually cause one of them to release specs and/or a Linux
driver.

Whatever happened to Echo anyway? I still have the announcement
from last year posted to this very list saying they'd shared
their specs with the ALSA guys or something to that effect. A
studio-owning friend of mine swears by their stuff and I'd
recommend it to other people too if I knew there were decent
drivers.

Rob