Re: pro-audio knowledge and the linux cause [Re: [linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]]

Subject: Re: pro-audio knowledge and the linux cause [Re: [linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]]
From: Lee Revell (rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 01:36:37 EET

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 00:23 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > There is existing nomenclature and the phrase "pro
> > audio" defines audio engineering, sound design, etc.
> > To confuse matters, the term "pro" is used to imply
> > something about quality of product and subsequently
> > becomes used as a qualifier to describe many things.
>
> Hmm, than maybe it's indeed just a matter of how this term is
> generally used.

I think it's a bit different in the computer world where "pro audio" is
used to mean the use of a computer for more serious applications than
system sounds and AV playback, which could be anything from softsynths
or live effects processing to the traditional meaning of the term.

It agree that it would be nice if we had a better term for this.

Lee