Re: [linux-audio-user] can't get jack working in SuSE 9.1

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] can't get jack working in SuSE 9.1
From: Robert Persson (ireneshusband_AT_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 13:23:57 EET

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 16:08, Lee Revell wrote:

> This is because you are running /usr/bin/jackd and it must be linking
> against the newer JACK libraries. The CVS version installs
> as /usr/local/bin/jackd.

Excellent! It's working now. Needs a few tweaks naturally, but that can
wait.

To summarise (for the benefit of other beginners), I got Jack working by
taking the following steps:
1. Compile the realtime-lsm module. It ships with some distros, else you can
get if from http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtime-lsm/. This also
required me to recompile my kernel with some SELinux functions enabled, but
the instructions are easy to follow.
2. Compile the latest jack version from CVS (http://jackit.sourceforge.net).
This probably won't be necessary in a few months because what's in the CVS
now will eventually become the official version. Again, the instructions are
easy to follow. You just have to remember that the CVS jackd will be
installed into /usr/local/bin and won't replace /usr/bin/jackd unless you
decide to do it manually.
3. Make sure that jackd is not competing with another sound server. With
artsd (the KDE sound server) you can either kill it when you start jackd and
start it again when you have finished (qjackctl can do this automatically),
or run jackd all the time and set artsd in KDE Control to treat jackd as its
audio device instead of using alsa directly.

One potential area of confusion:
If you start a Jack-using audio application and you get the message "Direct
access to sound device not possible" it does not mean that anything is wrong
with your software. It simply means that you have yet to patch the
application's audio outputs to something else's inputs using qjackctrl or
another Jack patchbay.

Robert

--
Robert Persson is powered by Linux.