Re: Linux/Protools (was: Re: Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer

Subject: Re: Linux/Protools (was: Re: Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 20:27:29 EET

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 08:47:08AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I think coming to Linux (in some form) would be less trouble than what
> they suffered going to Windows based on leveraging OS X.

Maybe for the core stuff but for the UI, i.e. the vast majority
of the code, they'd have a lot to do.
Unless current protools is already based on some portable toolkit,
which I highly doubt - given the history of the app I would bet there's
a pile of code for MFC, another pile for Cocoa or whatever
it's called, and a pile of reusable cross-toolkit stuff in the middle.
Supporting a third platform would mean either moving everything
to a cross-platform toolkit or adding a third huge pile of toolkit-specific
code.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com