Re: [linux-audio-user] Doing the soundcard manufacturer tango (long)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Doing the soundcard manufacturer tango (long)
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 20:18:52 EET

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:42:46 -0500, Dave Phillips <dlphilp_AT_bright.net> wrote:
> Greetings:
<SNIP>

> Frankly, who gives a a flying fsck what gear you're using ?

I agree, but I think that's a different thread from what's been going
on the last few days.

> And I've never heard a single
> "normal" listener say anything like "Wow, they really knew how to use
> [Pro Tools, Cubase, Ardour] on that song!".

Actually, most analog-based pro users generally say something like
'Ug....that's another Pro Tools based song, isn't it?'

> I think we're barking up the wrong tree. Maybe letters to
> manufacturers make a difference, but I'll bet one successful song will
> do more to attract manufacturers and users to Linux. Even touting
> numbers isn't nearly so effective an attention-getter as would be a
> single successful recording. And by "successful" I mean that it reaches
> tens or hundreds of thousands of people.
>
> Then during the interviews you can say "Ja, I used Linux, ya know,
> it's da bomb"...

Good points. However it maybe chicken/egg stuff if the talent cannot
use their hardware...

> Large studios have money for
> state-of-the-art equipment and software, they're all scrambling to stay
> ahead of the competition (because there isn't really very much of it) by
> having what the other guys don't, and there's just no reason for them to
> even take an interest in anything other than what they know or are told
> to know via Mix magazine. So, no market for Linux there, sorry, not at
> this moment in time.

Here I happen to disagree just a bit. I've talked with folks that boot
Pro Tools and only turned it off if Windows started acting up. Other
than that they never see the windows desktop. The screen showed Pro
Tools for weeks or months and never changed. Close one session, start
another. the machine is used for NOTHING except Pro Tools.

Pro Tools itself running under Linux would look no different from
windows in this mode other than possibly path names due to file system
differences. It's likely the machine would act up less and they'd be
even less likely to see the Linux desktop. Add to it some ability to
administer the machine remotely (not a windows option) and the
high-end pro guys would not care what the OS is. They would hardly
know.

> It's often overlooked how incredibly conservative the whole industry
> really is. Innovative trends like Linux may be perceived more as
> disruptive than smoothly continuing "things as we've always known and
> liked them to be", especially to the higher-level professional studios.

Unless provided by Digi in which case Digi's on the line to make it work.

> Mark, I'll buy you a case of Iron City Light if Digi ever decides to
> support Linux in any way.

I know you didn't think you'd lose that bet so quickly, but I don't
drink light beer anyway so I'll settle for an entry on your Christmas
card list. Sending my address off-line... ;-)

> It's just not in their best interest to do so.
> They have created a locked-in market as completely as M$ has done, even
> moreso because of the narrow market base. They'll continue to eke out
> their innovations to keep them ahead of their competitors and they'll
> continue their so-far successful policy of keeping everything closed. I
> think it's important to note that such companies are not necessarily
> hostile to their user-base, they simply have the power to define that
> base and they'll do everything in their power to maintain the lock-in.
> It's how they're making their money now, it's been working for them for
> many years, and there seems to be no pressing reason for them to change.

Believe me, I do not see Digi as hostile to me and I'm nobody. I get a
great product from them. I get reasonable prices at Guitar Center
whether I'm doing an 002 setup at home or an HD setup with someone
else. Do you understand that you can get into the Digi Pro Tools HD
game for about $5K these days? It's just not that expensive from Digi.
I admire what they've done.

Now, HD plugin manufacturer's a a different price point and so far
beyond my comprehension. $1K/day for some plugin rentals? I guess this
is what makes Britney and Ashley rock...

> So, what to do ? Well, AudioScience has a developer who could perhaps
> persuade his company that there's a growing market for high-end
> pro-audio cards for Linux, and his company could literally corner the
> market for a while simply by providing either their own open-source
> drivers or by giving the specs to the community and letting the ALSA and
> OSS guys do the driver dance. There's already been some exchange, but
> perhaps a little more concerted community effort in that direction can
> help ?

I like the idea and would probably sign up to buy a unit if it helped
make things happen. RME, AudioScience. We will make more headway with
dollars than threats, but I wrote this opinion days ago...

- Mark

> PS: Much of this message should be read with a healthy dose of good
> humor, followed by a refreshing walk in the crisp morning air. Which is
> where I'm headed now...

I trust you had a smile on your face from that walk when you read my
response! ;-)