Re: [linux-audio-user] Doing the soundcard manufacturer tango (long)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Doing the soundcard manufacturer tango (long)
From: Florin Andrei (florin_AT_andrei.myip.org)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 01:44:41 EET

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 09:42 -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:

> Frankly, who gives a a flying fsck what gear you're using ? I'm
> *far* more interested in what you're doing with it than who makes it

Funny, there was a thread recently on alesis-ion_AT_yahoogroups.com where
similar arguments were made.

I basically agree, and my examples that i posted on the Ion group were
two, one music-related, one non-music-related:
- it is said that Orpheus made the stones fly by simply playing on
stone-age technology such as a harp (beautiful metaphor for supreme
musical mastery); compare that with the truckloads of music crap
produced on latest-greatest gear
- i know a guy who rides a 250cc motorcycle - when riding on really
twisted roads, he does better than most posers riding 1000+cc supersport
bikes; of course, in straight lines he can't do much, but then again in
a straight line any monkey can squeeze a throttle

However, there's a flipside to the coin, as always.
If you make Joan Baez-style music, the technology does not really matter
much.
If you make Vangelis-style music, the gear starts to matter a bit. Not a
whole lot, but a bit.

So... Gear matters, but not a whole lot. Get the amount of gear that
makes you comfortable and then go for it. Good gear must be such that
you forget it's there.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/