Re: [linux-audio-user] Multiple sound cards

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Multiple sound cards
From: Arnold Krille (arnold_AT_roederberg.dyndns.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 00:57:07 EET

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 23:15, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > It is possible via an .asoundrc but you wont get it to work
> > with jack without xruns. xruns are when one soundcard needs
> > its new data (for playback) before the other card. It
> > happens because your soundcards won't run with _exactly_
> > the same frequency altough all clame to to 44.1kHz/48kHz.
> short question: Is this also the case, if I have three cards
> but only one is used by jack?

Short answer: No. ;-)

Long answer: It happens if you use them at the same time with the same process
(your jackd).
You can even let jackd use one soundcard for studio mastering/recording and
use a second card to listen to your own music...

> I also get xruns with my USB card. It's the third card,
> because I have an AC 97 and an USB2MIDI device.

I have three cards too. Getting xruns isn't only an effect of using two
asynchronous soundcards...

> When I try to run jack, it works, but I get some (but not too
> much) xruns. Should I disable the AC 97 card?

Do as you like, I was happy to realize my on-board does 3 stereo line outs
accessible from jackd.
If you get xruns, try using a smaller windowmanager and stop all programs you
don't need for your music. If that isn't enough, stop making music as
well. :-P
Or use bigger buffers for jackd.

Arnold

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

-- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe