[linux-audio-user] Re: Multiple sound cards

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: Multiple sound cards
From: Timo Sivula (timo.sivula_AT_luukku.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 07:08:32 EET

Hello

> From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan_AT_starband.net>

> >There was a thread here (or on linux-audio-developer@?) where one disconnected the quartzes from the second and third soundcard and connected them with the one from the first soundcard.

I was the one that did that. And it does work. I call my project El-Cheapo to reflect the ideology: to create a reliable multichannel recording system at a as low a budget as possible. Have a look at the linux audio and alsa archives for "El-Cheapo" and you should find the threads.

My current system can record 6 simultaneous input channels without xruns using using three AudioPCI cards that cost me 20 US each. The PC is based upon a 2G Celeron CPU that you can get for 100 US nowadays and 1 Gb of memory. OS is Fedora Core 1 and Planet CCRMA.

I removed the crystals from two of the cards and chained the clocks after the first card's clock. I get good recordings with a latency of about 65 ms, or -n3 -p 1024 with 48 kHz sample rate. At 44.1 kHz I can occasionally get a stable 8 ms latency with -n3 -p128, but the next time I start it, it may give xruns. -p2048 works rock solid 100% with no problems.

XFCE desktop gives better results than Gnome.

Please read the El-Cheapo threads and drop me a line if you need advice on the hardware mod. Software is not my field, so there I rely on the help from these lists, too.

br, Timo

 MTV3 Laajakaista - Hauskemman elämän puolesta.
 http://www.mtv3.fi/liittyma/hankinta/laajakaista/