Re: [linux-audio-user] a letter from ron parker

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] a letter from ron parker
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 04:53:53 EET

R Parker wrote:

>Hi Russell,
>
>I'm just getting in from a long day of work and read
>your letter. Thank you for the reply. My enthusiasm
>and appreciation for all things Linux audio is not
>going to change at all. Well, I don't want to talk
>about my position right now.
>
>I'm sorry to hear about the car accident. I hope you
>and your family are OK given the circumstances. I know
>there isn't anything I can say to comfort you except
>that I always read your posts on this list and
>appreciate your contribution.
>
>ron
>
>--- Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan_AT_starband.net> wrote:
>

>>R Parker wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Paul,
>>>
>>>Before I say anything depressing and express my
>>>frustration, please take to heart how much I
>>>appreciate what you're doing. Ardour is an
>>>

>>incredible
>>

>>>accomplishment and I view it as an enourmous act of
>>>generosity.
>>>
>>>I know you're trying to release 1.0 and start the
>>>GKT2.0 port at the new year. I have had enough
>>>

>>serious
>>

>>>problems with Ardour that I don't see how that's
>>>possible. Maybe my perspective is very narrow and I
>>>can't see beyound the issues that I run into. It's
>>>just that I keep running into problems that are
>>>intolerable to most guys like me (pro engineers).
>>>
>>>I have to share a personal frustration with you
>>>

>>that
>>

>>>affects my attitude for trying to help with Ardour.
>>>
>>>Because I am not a developer nobody will ever know
>>>that I have made a contribution. I feel
>>>

>>insignificant,
>>

>>>overlooked or unappreciated. How can I say that
>>>

>>when
>>

>>>everytime an issue arises you're there to help.
>>>
>>>If a developer contributes a couple bug fixes, that
>>>person recieves recognition by being listed in the
>>>developers section of the About dialog. Yet their
>>>effort seems miniscule when compared to mine. The
>>>

>>way
>>

>>>I read this is if you're not a developer, then in
>>>

>>the
>>

>>>Ardour world you're nobody. I don't know if there's
>>>any other way to interpret this. From my
>>>

>>perspective,
>>

>>>it seems accurate. Ultimately the result is a loss
>>>

>>of
>>

>>>motivation.
>>>
>>>I'm glad Doug, aka Nostar, is around these days
>>>because Ardour needs someone to discover, report
>>>

>>and
>>

>>>request fixes.
>>>
>>>Maybe your reaction to this letter is "go blow
>>>yourself." Given what I imagine to be your own
>>>frustrations, I sure wouldn't blame you for
>>>

>>responding
>>

>>>that way.
>>>
>>>There's a couple more things I want to say to
>>>

>>express
>>

>>>my appreciation but I have to start my day.
>>>
>>>ron

>>>All your favorites on one personal page – Try My

> [...]
Hey Ron,

No problem! No one died...although how I don't know!!! My nephew was not
wearing a seat belt and he was thrown thru the winsheild of a small
japanese import after rolling several times at about 65 mph as we
understand it...Unbeleivably, he has not broken bone one!!! He is a sore
son bitch though and I can't wait untill he's better so I can beat him
to death!!! His sister was straped in and has severe whiplash and they
are both cut and bruised. They were on their way to a funeral...almost
their own(??) Take stock in this...without a big ol' diatribe...there
~ARE~ most definatley angels watching over us! Thank you sincerely for
your well wishes. It is appreciated. THings like this really help me to
place life in perspective again; we are here for a short time and we
should truly embrace what we have and be thankful for the world in which
we live and all we have gained from it.

On the other note...the relevant topic indeed...I do hope whatever your
issue is will be resolved and if I can assist in any way it would be my
pleasure. We have some awesome audio tools that are approaching
reliabilty comprable to that of their propriatory competitors; and the
flexibilty is far beyond in terms of the "modifying under the hood" to
quote Pauls analogy. Furthermore, we have an incredible close knit
community of people that barely know each other for the most part (I'm
actually an axe weilding, homocidal maniac in real life BTW :) ) that
get along unlike any other forum, support board or the like in the
"other" worlds. And it is one of the very few unadulterated things in
life not affected directly by money, revenues, etc. That just makes it
plain freakin' neato~ Yes...Neato! Groovy...Narly, bitchin' , super,
etc. It's nice to know we are all appreciated in some way no matter how
we contribute... {Group hug goes here~} and theres nothing wrong with
raising that flag up the pole once in awhile either. But if you know you
helped, even if it is not acknowledged in open forum, sleep well friend.
YOU know!

R~