Re: [linux-audio-user] Portaudio...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Portaudio...
From: Dave Griffiths (dave_AT_pawfal.org)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 11:57:37 EET

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:05:05 +0000, tim hall wrote
> Last Friday 10 December 2004 00:35, Brad Fuller was like:
> > > Does anyone have portaudio functioning on their Linux box and if so,
> > > can you give a brief overview of how and what is required?
> > >
> > > eg: I read it will co-exist and work with alsa? Does that mean it
> > > co-operates with jack and can be run from the Qjackctl app? Latency
> > > issues? is it robust?
> >
> > I too would be very interested in hearing experiences with portaudio.
>
> and me.

I've used it in in a few apps for audio capture, and also tried it
occasionally for audio output. It works fine with alsa or oss, and jack works,
but I recall a few problems. I haven't used the jack version (v19) that much,
it needs more developers to work on it I think.

>From a programmer's POV it's really nice, as it's crossplatform and is pretty
much like a simpler version of Jack.

dave