Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Linux audio market question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Linux audio market question
From: Rob (lau_AT_kudla.org)
Date: Sun Dec 12 2004 - 21:52:49 EET

On Friday 10 December 2004 13:17, Mark Knecht wrote:
> If it's a bad idea, for whatever reason (data security,
> not enough broadband users, something else) please speak up. I
> have no personal investment in this. Just an interest in
> promoting musical collaboration and safer/happier computing.

Speaking for myself, I have been meaning to set up a
collaborative music site like what you describe, but on a
smaller scale (basically for me and whomever I know personally)
and using my company's spare colo bandwidth. If I didn't have
that available to me I would frankly be shopping around for my
own colo or hosting.

I would suggest that many Linux audio users have a DIY outlook on
web stuff because bandwidth and storage is such a commodity
nowadays.... the missing piece for audio collaboration is really
in the realm of software, not hosting. In my personal vision
for the application or site, you can also store lossless tracks
on the site and do rudimentary mixdowns and stuff and download
the result in mp3 form. I see online music collaboration as
being still in a very nascent and experimental phase of
development, and I hope to explore its possibilities without
being constrained by someone else's business model.

Following your recent post to the RME thread explaining your view
of the rights and (lack of) responsibilities of companies,
though, I have to admit I wouldn't be especially inclined to pay
you or your company very much money. It is possible to run a
business without channelling Ayn Rand or P. T. Barnum; I run one
such myself and I expect that of people and companies with whom
I do business.

Rob