[linux-audio-user] system plays cdrom, put not audio files

Subject: [linux-audio-user] system plays cdrom, put not audio files
From: ed orphan (millward_AT_Ms.UManitoba.CA)
Date: Sun Dec 12 2004 - 11:26:38 EET

Asus A7N8X motherboard on-board sound circuit.
nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler
Slackware 10 kernel 2.4.26 ALSA
KDE Control sound system is set to autodetect
    The sound worked 2 days ago, but then, bang!
Won't play audio files no more. Somebody ( not me! ) must have
goofed up somewhere. ( Well, maybe me, I don't know )
    The cdrom plays audio CDs Ok with KDE KsCD player
so I know something is working right. But the nForce2 AC97
sound mixer must have AUX set high. The Master Volume
and PCM on the mixer have no effect on cd-rom volume.
But no programs play audio files, including the usual
KDE system sounds the mouse used to make.
   I have checked all the /dev devices and they all
look good. The correct driver ( snd-intel8x0) is loaded.
   When KDE starts it gives an error message:
"Sound server Error while initializing the sound driver
device fault can't be opened for playback ( no such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null open device."
/usr/bin/audacity in KDE gives this warning when
starting up:
  "There was an error initializing the audio I/O layer.
  You will not be able to play or record audio."
Try to play a loaded file and audacity says:
    "Error while opening sound device. Please check the
    output device settings and project sample rate."
The Gnome Wave Cleaner is also silent and hangs
when I press the play button.
     The Sox play comamnd is silent.
I have tried all kinds of changes to /etc/modules.conf
to the ALSA settings and used the alsaconf command
a few times too, but my knowledge is limited and nothing
good happens. This is my /etc/modules.conf

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.5 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

 These are my loaded modules ( lsmod )
Module Size Used by Not tainted
snd-seq-midi 3488 0 (autoclean) (unused)
snd-seq-midi-event 3264 0 (autoclean) [snd-seq-midi]
snd-seq 33424 0 (autoclean) [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-pcm-oss 37736 0
snd-mixer-oss 12504 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
usb-ohci 19240 0 (unused)
ehci-hcd 17580 0 (unused)
usbcore 59308 1 [usb-ohci ehci-hcd]
forcedeth 9164 1
snd-intel8x0 18924 0
gameport 1420 0 [snd-intel8x0]
snd-pcm 56072 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-intel8x0]
snd-timer 13604 0 [snd-seq snd-pcm]
snd-page-alloc 6328 0 [snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec 49500 0 [snd-intel8x0]
snd-mpu401-uart 3200 0 [snd-intel8x0]
snd-rawmidi 12740 0 [snd-seq-midi snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device 3888 0 [snd-seq-midi snd-seq snd-rawmidi]
snd 30852 0 [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-pcm-oss s$
soundcore 3396 4 [snd]
ide-scsi 9328 0
agpgart 43940 0 (unused)

 One day it works great, the next day its crap. I don't know
what happened. Anybody got any ideas?