Re: [linux-audio-user] Fervent Software, "Studio to Go"

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Fervent Software, "Studio to Go"
From: Chris Cannam (cannam_AT_all-day-breakfast.com)
Date: Mon Dec 13 2004 - 17:10:27 EET

On Saturday 11 Dec 2004 05:33, Rob wrote:
> Has anyone heard of Fervent Software?

Yes -- I'm part of Fervent Software.

The aim of Studio to Go! is to provide a good selection of Linux music
software in a way that just works, for people who find it interesting
but might not otherwise have the time or inclination to assemble their
own Linux systems for music work. And then, to provide some
coordinated support for it based on the premise that we know what
software is in use. As it's a live CD, there are obviously plenty of
other interesting aspects to it as well.

We haven't made much noise about it on the Linux audio lists, not least
because we've been deliberately trying to avoid designing it for people
who already use Linux.

We feel that it's good value for money in the context of the music
software market, notwithstanding the existence of the same software in
other distributions. It's certainly one of the easiest ways to get a
system with (for example) Rosegarden running with DSSI plugins,
Audacity with JACK, working VST support and so on, and it's a fairly
undemanding introduction to Linux as well. Our policy has differed
from that of (for example) AGNULA in that they tend to try to bundle
everything, whereas we've largely picked out things that work and that
are easy to "get into", and concentrated on making those work well.

If you have any particular questions, it might be worth asking them on
the forum page at http://www.ferventsoftware.com/forums/ or directly of
us at info_AT_ferventsoftware.com.

Chris