Re: Open Source Hardware (Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more)

Subject: Re: Open Source Hardware (Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more)
From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 20:29:38 EET

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 09:46, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 14 Dec 2004 10:03:31 +0100, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz_AT_ping.de> wrote:
> > Lee Revell wrote:
> >
> > > Christ, what the fuck country do you live in? Don't you understand the
> > > concept of people having bills to pay? Or do you just assume the RME
> > > guys are independenly wealthy and just design sound cards for fun?
> >
> > Interestingly some people seem to be existing who are working on Linux for fun.
> > Also there is a concept known as "Open Source Hardware" which was mentioned here
> > before.
>
> Actually, it was Lee and I (I think) who were the main proponents of
> the Open Source Sound Card idea. Funny how that works out at times.
>
> My current thought is that there aren't enough people interested in
> doing it. Maybe I'm wrong?

Maybe, maybe not. One quick question I have been meaning to ask. Would
it be possible to completely drive the card with firmware? What I mean,
can all the packet processing be handled by an onboard processor in the
soundcard? No gate arrays? What I picture is of-the-shelf components
only... [*]

-- Fernando

[*] in a former life I used to design digital hardware and code firmware
for small (up to 8x64) analog telephone exchanges, up to around 1989,
technology has changed a bit in the meantime :-)