Re: [linux-audio-user] FM7 ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] FM7 ?
From: Brad Fuller (brad_AT_sonaural.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 22:39:32 EET

Dave Phillips wrote:

> John Check wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 12 December 2004 06:13 pm, Dave Phillips wrote:
>>

>>> Greetings, Earthlings:
>>>
>>> As a long-time fan of FM synthesis I've been wondering whether I
>>>

>> There's something you don't hear every day
>>
> You mean the FM fanboy part ? I guess it's a little unusual, but that
> was the first synthesis method I learned. I bought a TX81Z when it
> first came out and I really tore into it. For me, FM synthesis has
> never been as difficult as some people make it out to be.
>
>> Are you interested in a Casio VZ-8M? I was planning on cannibalizing
>> it for
>> the case, but it's a pretty groovy piece if you like FM.
>>
> Ooh, that's a nice piece ! Alas, Xmas has wiped me out, I'm already
> totally broke, and there's still rent to pay. :(
>
> Man, you should keep that board, it's a sweetheart. :)

Count me in on one who likes FM. You can do a lot with FM, even with 4
operators. We used the YM2151 - a Yamaha 4 operator FM chip -- in many
of our games at Atari (from 1984 to maybe 1994) Using a single 1MHz
6502 to feed the YM2151 - only 8 monophonic channels; still a milestone
in arcade sound. And I think most of them sound pretty good.
A lot of experimenting to get interesting sounds... but ,that's the fun
part.

brad