Re: [linux-audio-user] (OSS vs. RME) vs. (OSS + RME) [slightly OT]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] (OSS vs. RME) vs. (OSS + RME) [slightly OT]
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 20:33:53 EET

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:43:49 -0500, Lee Revell <rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 23:29 -0600, vord wrote:
> > the company is worried about disclosure, fine ... thats their
> > business. i want compatibility for such and such hardware though, and
> > I'm willing to sign an NDA, help develop the driver, and negotiate the
> > terms for distribution. whoever is interested in helping should speak
> > up, voice their opinion on my method, and help get things organized.
>
> For the record I would be willing to help with a closed source driver.
> Of course RME would have to pay me.
>
> Lee

Fair enough Lee. You should be compensated. And I'd be willing to use
a closed source driver. I have no issues about that at all.

I think what is ignored here is that RME won't pay anyone to do the
work (internal programmers or external contractors) unless they
believe that they get something in return. Generally that means money,
most probably from sales. Good will is fleating and generally doesn't
count for me.

Since this conversation continues to ignore this reality in business I
think it will never happen. Unless we make it a win for RME's business
then it will never be win-win.

- Mark