Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI confusion

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI confusion
From: Rui Nuno Capela (rncbc_AT_rncbc.org)
Date: Sun Dec 26 2004 - 22:46:12 EET

Joe Hartley wrote:
>> I don't think Jack handles MIDI data. ZynAddSubFX does not have any
>> input ports visible in the qjackctl connection screen.
>
> Definitely a brain fart on my part here - Jack DOES handle routing
> MIDI, as long as you click on the MIDI tab in Qjackctl!

Correction: JACK does NOT handle MIDI data (yet). ALSA does, or more
precisely, the ALSA sequencer layer does. The MIDI tab on qjacktcl
connections window is there just as for convenience, as it follows the
very same paradigm. Most of the time when you're dealing with audio you'll
end dealing with MIDI too. At least on my home studio. That's why :)

> I have some joy here, listening to the computer play the synth
> controlled by my keyboard!
>
> A huge first step for me today, thanks all!

Happy holiday.

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc_AT_rncbc.org