Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Steinberg sold to Yamaha

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Steinberg sold to Yamaha
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 17:57:07 EET

--- Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz_AT_ping.de> wrote:

> I had already read that. Which effects can be
> predicted?

Having an afinity for talking out of my ass, this is
my moment. What's known is that Yamaha Music invested
$5,000.000.00 into embedded Linux kernel development a
year or two ago. Now they've invested $25,000.000.00
into Cubase. To compete with ProFools, they need the
hardware and software combined. And now they have it.

What I find interesting is their decision to spend
millions on Cubase rather than thousands on Ardour.
Why? The value of concern isn't a technical quality.
Twenty five million will build anything soft. The
investment is in owned market.

Combining the Yamaha and Didgi marketshares together
creates a product that automatically compete with
ProFools.

I'll tune in to watch a couple two ton gorillas beat
on eachother. It's a legitimate heavy weight bout. The
compelling consideration for us is that other hardware
companies either adapt to compete with the gorillas or
they dissapear. Mackie has their solution. But some
hardware manufacturer is thinking about combining
their hardware and market share with Linux Audio
software because JACK, Ardour, JAMin and many other
interesting applications are almost ready to satisfy
user expectations. Will it be Neve, Peavey, Focusrite
or whomever that decides to combine their hardware and
marketshare with our software and put it into the ring
with the gorillas? Someone is gonna do it.

With a ringside seat procured, all I'm missing is a
fresh pot of coffee and a donut. I will not need
cigarettes because I quit smoking a few days back and
am firmly held within the cold turkey psychosis. I am
sick and pissed enough at Phillip Morris to stick
around and watch the audio contendors fight it out.

ron