[linux-audio-user] Athlon 64?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Athlon 64?
From: thewade (pdman_AT_aproximation.org)
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 01:53:59 EET

Hey spencer,

I am using an AMD64 laptop for audio work and I have to say
its a lot of work and waiting to get things to work correctly
right now. There really isint any cool advantages for audio
yet but the hyperthreads in the FX chipset may make things
run a little faster for doing audio/video stuff. Im not sure.

The only thing I am sure of is that I am not running a
realtime-preemptable kernel nor is the audio software that I use
work compleately (PD), all because of 64-bit woes.
Im still waiting...

But then again its people like us that make the industry change,
and I think there is a lot you COULD do with 64-bits, it just
isint implemented in the processor yet. There isint any real
reason for the PC industry not to eventually move to 64-bits
except for conservitive beliefs that its not needed.

-thewade