[linux-audio-user] Re: Athlon 64?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: Athlon 64?
From: Brian Redfern (bredfern_AT_calarts.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 20:40:08 EET

I've used a compaq laptop that I was setting up with Suse Linux 9.1 for
amd_64, and it runs a lot cooler than I expected, and for those apps that
have native 64 bit version, you definitely do get a performance boost.

So if you can afford it, a dual 64 bit system would be a real powerhouse
for an audio workstation, but it can be difficult to get some hardware
working, the 64 bit laptop mobos use a problematic yenta socket, so pcmcia
might not work at all.