Re: [linux-audio-user] capture MIDI to a file?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 21:49:40 EET

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:25:37 -0500, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 11:10 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > >
> > > Just use arecordmidi --port foo:bar --dump file.mid. foo:bar is the
> > > port to dump/record from, you can list available ports with amidi -l.
> > >
> > > Lee
> >
> > Right. Thanks. This is working fine and it's readable when using the
> > mf2t applet that Dave passed along. However I'm only able to capture
> > MIDI from other apps and not from my MIDI ports so far.
>
> What is the output of amidi -l? Do you see the hdsp MIDI ports?
>
> Lee

Yes, the ports are there:

[mark@email-addr-hidden mark]$ amidi -l
Device Name
hw:0,0 MIDI 1
hw:0,1 MIDI 2
[mark@email-addr-hidden mark]$

Am I using them incorrectly? Using amidi I see hw:0,0 and hw:0,1while
in qjackctl I see 64:0 & 64:32. I'm realizing that I don't know which
numeric version to use.

0
0,0
0:0
64:0

Something else?

[mark@email-addr-hidden mark]$ amidi -l
Device Name
hw:0,0 MIDI 1
hw:0,1 MIDI 2
[mark@email-addr-hidden mark]$ arecordmidi --port hw:0,0 --dump midi-test.mid
Invalid port hw:0 - No such file or directory
[mark@email-addr-hidden mark]$
[mark@email-addr-hidden mark]$ arecordmidi --port 64,0 --dump midi-test.mid
Waiting for data. Press Ctrl+C to end
_______Tick Event_________________ Ch _Data__
          0 Event type 30
[mark@email-addr-hidden mark]$ arecordmidi --port 64:32 --dump midi-test.mid
Waiting for data. Press Ctrl+C to end
_______Tick Event_________________ Ch _Data__

None of these seem to produce any results. I can use vkeybd and see
events though so it seems to be the HDSP 9652, however vkeybd doesn't
show up in amidi -l so I don't know what to use for port numbers....

Confused,
Mark