Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] Switching workspaces or ping-ponging screens?

From: Ruth A. Kramer <rhkramer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 12:25:57 EET

wes schreiner wrote:

> Christian Frisson wrote:
> >I'm up to throw my little and only 15" CRT screen in the attic to replace it by
> >a more space-friendly and hum-bucking 17" LCD screen. I heard that running a
> >dual-screen workstation is very fashionable for musicians (or artists): the
> >sequencer on the first and the mixer on the second for example. Thus I was
> >wondering whether I should take advantage of the opportunity and buy two of them
> >at the same
> >time, from the same brand, same model, same series... to avoid being
> >disoriented. But doesn't Linux enable us to switch virtual workspaces with a
> >single key combination?

This is a suggestion and a followup question (all in one):

   * Why not keep the 15" monitor for the 2nd screen instead of buying
two?

The question is, my son had a setup like this (with 17" and 15" (CRT)
monitors), with (iirc) 1024x768 resolution on the 17" and 800x600
resolution on the 15". The disappointing thing was that the 15" monitor
behaved as a virtual window (i.e., an 800x600 window on a 1024x768
screen, requiring scrolling to see the entire window). I assume there's
a way to make the 15" monitor a real 800x600 screen (no scrolling) but
we never found it. Can anybody confirm there is a way to do that?
Hints on how?

Randy Kramer