[linux-audio-user] Re: Feasibility of Crestron like Linux

From: Andrew Burgess <aab@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 01:22:46 EET

>> Yep. I use 2 USB soundcards to give me 6 stereo channels. I can play
>> 6 different mp3 sources to 6 rooms.

>You could also do this with an emu10k1 or emu10k2 based card, anything
>that has 6 channels of output (like the 5.1, or anything with the
>LiveDrive, which gives a headphone out). These can be used as 6
>independent mono channels, or 3 stereo streams. Plus this card
>resamples in hardware which makes things a lot easier.

I have 6 stereo outputs so it would take 2 emu10k cards. I started
development with one such card driving 3 rooms but had to move to USB to free
PCI slots for disk controllers.

Yeah, I wish I had hardware resample....
Without the USB 48Khz limitation I wouldn't even need to resample :-(
I have a feeling that 5% cpu load per room is going come back and haunt
me...

I haven't tried running the usb cards at 44.1 for several kernel
iterations, maybe it works now.