[linux-audio-user] Re: FreeWheeling live looper prerelease

From: Wolfgang Woehl <tito@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 03:53:33 EET

jp, the energy and thought you have put into this are truly glamorous.
Much in the same way that Fons Adriaensen's unique work
(http://users.skynet.be/solaris/linuxaudio) inspires gleeful things
you've added a beautiful instrument to the band. Oh, what am I telling
you, you know this.

"JP Mercury" <swirlee@email-addr-hidden>:

> When you turn cut mode on, loops that are already playing can be cut
> in and out without restarting them-- it works like a DJ on the
> faders. Start some loops playing, enable cut mode and then hit the
> keys of your playing loops.

Ok, I get it. Added the qwertz bindings to ~/.fweelin.rc and it works
too =:)

> Not sure what you mean by trim loops. Do you mean how to sync up many
> loops together?

Yes. I wondered if you could get rid of parts of a loop or change
start/end of a loop -- in order to sync up. I read the "loops with
different lengths can be captured and triggered at once" on your
website so I fiddled with "pulses" but got nowhere. fweelin_core_dsp.cc
says there is a metronome. How do you get to hear it?

> There is no way to pan loops right now. Freewheeling currently runs
> all loops mono. I recognize the limitation- it's a good idea for a
> future release.

There's more to panning than balancing between 2 channels though. There
might be n jack channels to pan to.

> Spencer wrote-
> > MEM: HiPri Thread 0
> > fweelin: pthread_mutex_lock.c:78: __pthread_mutex_lock: Assertion
> > `mutex->__data.__owner == 0' failed. Aborted

owner "0" would be root so maybe Spencer runs jackd as root and fweelin
can't connect being run with Spencer's user rights. If so he would have
to run fweelin as root too -- which is bad -- or go 2.6/lsm or
2.4/capabilities/jackstart respectively.

Wolfgang