Re: [linux-audio-user] Interesting product..

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 09:55:36 EET

On Thursday 06 January 2005 08:52, linux-audio-user-request@email-addr-hidden
wrote:
> Regarding Synful Orchestra, Florin posted:
> > Pretty good but the solo sequences are a bit wooden.
> > It might be better at large-scale orchestral parts.
>
> With headphones, these examples are almost obnoxious.  It's too bad because
> they do indeed sound "pretty good" with speakers, much better than my
> hardware synths for orchestral music.
>
> I took the liberty of creating a brand new recording *for headphones* which
> sound much better *to me* (and which falls under the Fair Use provisions of
> Title 17 USC):
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~davidrclark/linux_audio_users/beet_4416_phasor.m
>p3

This does sound good, more separation and more dynamics. But the originals
also sounded good to me on the cans.

> I call this rendition "Beethoven Quartet in Motion."  The purpose is to
> demonstrate "3-D Audio" with headphones to those who might find this type
> of music more interesting than static recordings and typical commercial
> CD production techniques AND listen to Synful's synthesizer with
> headphones. I apologize to those pure classicists who find this
> interpretation heretical.
>
> To those with less sensitive ears, this was not produced by mere panning,
> and it's not merely the case that the stereo field was widened.  And, of
> course, you have my sympathy.  The software to do this processing was
> developed using GNU tools under Linux, and I thank that development
> community.

Where can I download :-) ?? The little "widener" that works in XMMS is one of
the most neutral and useful such plugins I have heard. I have some mixes
waiting for this--I couild probably run it through Jamin but my computer
cannot handle this.

> I am somewhat skeptical of Synful's implication that producing high-quality
> works would not require a lot of (MIDI) work.  There are a lot of contoller
> message in the Beethoven piece.  Yes, there are tools to help, but to get
> things to sound right --- I just find it hard to believe.  *Less* MIDI work
> than with other synthesizers, probably.

I use the Ntonyx Style Enhancer to do such things and this can work nicely
without Synful but could produce most interesting results with it. Of course,
this program runs only on the other operating system and will not run using
WINE.