Re: [linux-audio-user] spectral correction

From: Dave Phillips <dlphilp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 17:10:30 EET

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:

>Nathaniel Virgo:
>

>>I don't remember ever using it but I think the Ceres spectral editor
>>does what you want, possibly, along with all kinds of other funky
>>stuff. There seem to be several versions by different people, I think
>>ceres3 is the most recent but I'm not sure.
>>

>Not really. Ceres3 is based on a ~10 year old fork of Ceres. Both Ceres3
>and Ceres are both still being actively developed independently of each
>other. They both have theire pros and cons. Generally (and probably
>stupid) said, ceres is more fancy while ceres3 is more academic.

Ceres3 is Motif-based only, with no Python, GTK, or other dependencies,
and the maintainer tries to keep working versions of it for SGI, Mac
OSX, and LinuxPPC, as well as for Linux x86. It also still depends on
the old libaudiofile as modified by Richard Kent (i.e. no libsndfile).

>I'm thinking about renaming Ceres as Ceres4, because Ceres3 sounds
>newer and better than Ceres. But if I did, Ceres4 would sounds newer
>and better than Ceres3 again, which might not be true either.
>
>(Well, to be hounest, I sometimes think Ceres3 should be named something
>non-ceres though. It is a bit confusing.)

As you know, Ceres has had a few hands working on it. I ported the first
Linux version back in 1997 or so, and many developers have added
features to various versions since that time. What we need is a
SuperCeres that incorporates all those features into a single version.

I'm not sure why Stanko should change the name of Ceres3. His work
predates your own, and his naming convention simply followed the
succession starting from the original Ceres (Oyvind Hammer), Ceres2
(Jonathon Lee), and Ceres2w (WAV support added).

I use both Ceres and Ceres3. I prefer the look & feel of Stanko's Motif
version, but I also like many of the features and improvements in your
excellent version. So, who's up for creating SuperCeres ?

Btw, I once wrote a Quicktoot on using Ceres3, if anyone's interested:

    http://linux-sound.org/quick-toots/1-ceres3/quick-toot-ceres3.html

Best,

dp