Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: OSC as real-time controller

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 13:09:07 EET

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 02:47:24AM -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:
> OSC is also used for communicating to the SuperCollider engine, and I'm
> working on a modular synth that is entirely OSC controlled.
>
> You can send OSC messages from Max/MSP, Pd; it's used in Reaktor and
> some other NI products, and is usable from at least a few scripting
> languages (Python being one I know for sure).
>
> It basically allows you to send arbitrary commands with an arbitrary
> number of arguments of any type.
>
> /synth/note_on 440
> /set_volume 1.2
> /patches/master/nodes/oscillator/set_control frequency 440
> /do_stuff withlots ofarguments 123.0 25

While were about it I'l plug liblo, http://plugin.org.uk/liblo/ a C OSC
implementation thats designed for people on the same lazyness wavelength
as me. It makes it as easy as I could to do OSC things, eg:

        lo_address t = lo_address_new("localhost", "7770");
        lo_send(t, "/foo/bar", "ff", 5.0f, 23.0f);

Making OSC servers is slightly more work, but not hard. The latest version
handles scheduling on the server side (for incoming timestamped message
bundles) and all kinds of things.

- Steve