Re: [linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 18:39:07 EET

> > You mean: in the best case, only one of them is putting
> > out sound :) .
>
> dmix

I didn't yet understand dmix; I'll try it out. But I guess
that dmix has some disadvantages.

> > > you can port open source apps to audio, and blame
> > > commercial companies to write apps for alsa
> > > (Id did, the new doom III release has alsa support)
> >
> > To be honest, they shouldn't support ALSA, they should
> > better support the non existing common unix audio layer.
>
> Why can't ALSA be the common layer?

Perhaps it can; but as soon as we tell application programmers
to use ALSA, we have to tell pro application programmers that
they should use JACK instead, or they shoul implement both,
and we have to teach the users again that they have to decide
what they should ude in which cases - it would really be
grate to have *one* API which all application programmers
could use, regardless if the application simply wants to play
a sound when email arrives or if it wants to be a
professional realtime sound application.

> > > but u still need to struggle around with alsa
> > > config, etc.
> >
> > Yep. And normal users are not able to do so.
>
> They should not have to.  If you have to hack .asoundrc and
> google for hours to get sound working then IT'S A BUG IN
> YOUR DISTRO.  Please file a bug report.

A distro 'simply' collects applications from the web and puts
them together to a working system. SuSE has supported us by
paying programmers to develop ALSA and much other things.

So, I really do not want to tell the distros that it is their
responsibility to do all this jobs.

Furthermore it should be our ambition to do it ourselves. At
least I feel so.

 Best regards

    ce