Re: [linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

From: Ryan Gallagher <ruinaudio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 19:55:06 EET

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 18:25 +0100, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > Well, I'm using KDE and plan on sticking with it, so this
> > is of interest to me and I expect others getting started on
> > linux/audio.
>
> Have fun: you'll know confusing things :) .
>
> > Aren't Gnome and KDE working to be "compatible" ie apps in
> > one run in the other?
>
> Yeah, freedesktop.org is somehow a common base both try to
> use.
>
> Worse: Because there's no common audio layer in linux, I guess
> that Gnome and KDE will start using a common soundserver, but
> then again it's again a KDE/Gnome only solution.

I think fd.o hosts MAS (http://www.mediaapplicationserver.net/)
That would cover anything using Xorg.

I doubt there will ever be "coreaudio" style linux audio api. But isn't
this all dealt with by jackd? I mean couldn't any application written
for jackd run on different audio drivers? I'm not a programmer, but I
thought jackd already serves as a "common audio layer".

i.e. `alsa' `coreaudio' `dummy' `oss' or `portaudio' support is there.

-ry

--
Ryan Gallagher <ruinaudio@email-addr-hidden>