Re: [linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

From: Hannu Savolainen <hannu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 21:49:18 EET

> Perhaps programmers of current low-level audio apps will feel that they
> may lose control by approaching this organization. Then again, it might
> significantly elevate the need of audio in the linux community by
> utilizing the x.org organization as the vehicle to promote and develop a
> Unified Audio Driver.
So the *x community should invent yet another audio driver API (in
addition to OSS and ALSA-driver). Isn't the situation already messy
enough?

At this moment all Unix vendors (other than official Linux) are already
behind OSS. esd works on top of it. artsd works on top of it. Jack works
on top of it. All applications (other than few alsa-* ones) are compatible
with it. Even significant part of alsa-lib has been ported to work on top
of OSS (this work started just about a month ago). So is there anything
that is still missing from OSS?

The current draft of the OSS 4.0 *) specification is available in
http://www.fi.opensound.com/developer . If there is something important
missing? We can consider adding such features in the near future. Comments
are higly welcome.

*) The OSS version included in the Linux kernel as well as ALSA's OSS
emulation are based on OSS v3.8 which is almost 10 years old. For this
reason they lack all the new features we have implemented during past
years.

Best regards,

Hannu
-----
Hannu Savolainen (hannu@email-addr-hidden)
http://www.opensound.com (Open Sound System (OSS))
http://www.compusonic.fi (Finnish OSS pages)
OH2GLH QTH: Karkkila, Finland LOC: KP20CM