Re: [linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 23:45:55 EET

> I think fd.o hosts MAS
> (http://www.mediaapplicationserver.net/) That would cover
> anything using Xorg.

I haven't yet had a view in detail, but I guess if JACK would
be the common layer. MAS could reside on top of it.

> I doubt there will ever be "coreaudio" style linux audio
> api.  But isn't this all dealt with by jackd?  I mean
> couldn't any application written for jackd run on different
> audio drivers?  I'm not a programmer, but I thought jackd
> already serves as a "common audio layer".

The questions are:

* Would JACK be stable enough? I guess yes. Furthermore, we
can make a deamon which restarts jack if it dies

* Is JACK secure enough? Certainly jack would never be started
by any distribution per default with realtime privileges. But
this is not needed for the common user, so users who need it
can turn it on later.

* Could JACK be started during boot time and collect audio
from any user? As discussed before, this is not necessaryly
needed, JACK could also be started as soon a user logs in.
But I like the idea that I can have multiple X sessions and
every of these users can play audio

* One problem remains, JACK cannot use different soundcards
because of the cards quartzes. So, would we have to start a
seperate JACK instance for each card?

 Thanks for your thoughts & best regards

    ce