Re: [linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Sun Jan 09 2005 - 03:02:23 EET

> Hasn't anyone been listening?  dmix can do this now.  It's
> a bug in your distro if this blocking behavior is the
> default.  There's no excuse for it.

Hm. I'm not yet familiar with dmix. Seems I should dive into
it.

AFAIK it needs to create an asoundrc.

Most distros use alsaconf as a backend for configuring
soundcards, and - I'm really not experienced in reading shel
scripts - it seems that alsaconf doesn't create an asoundrc
file for the user.

And manually create it? Well, it's somewhat a syntax similar
to lisp, I was told. I will need hours until I would have
understood and created an asoundrc which will do the job for
me.

So, if dmix is a solution, it needs tweaking the alsaconf
script to automatically create an asoundrc.

> As for closed apps using the OSS API, if they won't port
> their software to ALSA, what makes you think they'd port it
> to this new API?

Well, if they knew there's something which is the right thing
and if I support this one I will always be able to play sound
regardless how the soundconfiguration looks like on a
prticular machine, it will last time, but it will be
supported.

 Best regards

    ce