Re: [linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 18:48:14 EET

Last Saturday 08 January 2005 04:59, Lee Revell was like:
> Hmm, some people seem to have the impression that Linux audio is the
> byzantine beast that it is because Linux users like it that way.  This
> could not be farther from the truth.  Many of us are working feverishly
> to make it "Just Work" the way Mac and Windows do.

Um agreed, but could we make it 'just work' the way we know Linux could,
rather than the way Mac and Windows do it?-)

I don't really follow the desktop argument here anyway. I can't afford a Mac
and prefer not to use Windows even if it does lose me potential work. Between
GNOME-2.8 and openbox3, I'm quite happy desktop-wise.

A common audio layer is what I as a user thought ALSA was supposed to be. JACK
is a great part of Linux working the way we know it could. Here I don't want
to even have to know about the multiplicity of different systems, I want one
that works with everything and makes it easy to port other useful opensource
apps from other places (like getting OpenMusic, which uses portaudio, to work
on Debian).

I'm running AGNULA/DeMuDi, where most of the ALSA/JACK apps do, in fact 'just
work' (if only just in a couple of cases). All the work that has gone into
making it that way is very much appreciated.

Thanks LADs!

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk