Re: [linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 22:35:34 EET

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 20:37 +0100, Christoph Eckert wrote:

> Furthermore, it's a pity when dmix is only present on some
> single machines where the user has created an asoundrc file
> manually. There seems to be an interesting technology, but
> noone does use it.
>
> What about creating a shell script which helps us in creating
> an /etc/asound.conf resp. an ~/.asoundrc? It'd be great even
> if distributors woult use it as a backend to install dmix on
> every machine.

It would be even better if Red Hat would get off their asses and pitch
in to help, since the FC3 bug reports are flooding in. I don't remember
them ever posting ALSA patch one. Compare that to SuSE who have
contributed, well, most of it. Hmm, I wonder if the two are related...?

I am not surprised at all to find Red Hat/Fedora users constantly
wondering why their sound doesn't work, and that SuSE users never seem
have problems. If the distros want something as tricky as this to work
OOTB they have to make it a priority.

Lee