Re: [linux-audio-user] recommended music

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 15:18:49 EET

luis jure wrote:

>el Tue, 11 Jan 2005 07:45:36 -0500
>Dave Phillips <dlphilp@email-addr-hidden> escribió:
>

>> I'm not much into pop stuff anymore, so my recommendations are a bit
>>different:
>>

>as i half expected, dave's recommendations superpose in about 85% with
>mine...
>

>> just about anything by Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Jelly Roll
>>Morton, Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, Thelonius Monk, Charlie Parker...
>>

>ditto. and i would add at least lester young, coleman hawkins, count basie
>and eric dolphy.
>

>> Pony Blues, Down The Dirt Road, and High Water Everywhere, by
>>Charlie Patton
>> (real blues)
>>

>ditto. and may i also suggest son house? imo the greatest, his dead letter
>blues is impressive.
>

>> anything by Howlin' Wolf, Skip James, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters,
>>JB Lenoir, Magic Sam...
>> (more real blues)

did anyone catch the brilliant "goodbye babylon" box set issued by
"dust-to-digital"? six discs of sacred americana-style folk and gospel
from the likes of blind lemon jefferson, the carter family, washington
phillips (who's "lift him up that's all" is like a seance of sound) -
the last disc is comprised of deep-fried southern sermons ... ahhhh.

shayne