Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] DIY Racks

From: omjn <looplog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 11:09:02 EET

hi spencer,

at the moment I'm housing my rack gear in a home made rack frame of
sorts. A friend had some old modular aluminum lieing around, the square
tubing type that is joined together by those plastic corners to make a
bookcase frame. It's quite handy as the tubes also have a ridge which
is supposed to be for mounting shelves - I think it's probably from the
70's or something because it's all mission brown baby - these make an
ideal holding ridge for a desktop to place all my non-rack effects units
and the like on, as well as a mouse/keyboard surface. I'll probably
eventually use the ridges to also install some flush side walls to
enclose it and hopefully deaden some of the fan noise. Being aluminum
it's sturdy but not overly heavy. They still stock the stuff new,
albeit without the ridges, in non-offensive colours like black and
unpainted and 2metre lengths at a local hardware chain here, so you
might be able to find some wherever you are.

One thing I would be wary of with computers is heat build-up in any
enclosed unit, so if that's your intention it might be prudent to
incorporate a 120mm exhaust fan running off one of your computer's 12v
rails or something of the sort being fed by an air intake...

michael