Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio interface recommendations

From: Andres Cabrera <andres@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 03:27:21 EET

Hi,

Jon B wrote:

>I have a Midisport 1x1, but it has bad latency in windows, and
>I haven't bothered to figure out how to get it working in Linux.

It took me a while, but my midisport 2x2 is working fine in Linux (the
1x1 should also work fine). Haven't given it the full works, so can't
comment on its latency...

>Why do they make things that go up to 96 kHz but with frequency
>response cut off at 20? I don't get it. I would love to be able to
>record ultrasound for like science experiments or for maintaining all
>audible frequencies when slowing sounds down. And audiophiles think
>they can hear it. Sounds like the manufacturers would want to have it
>go up to at least 35 or so in their interfaces, but nooo...

I guess the antialias filter starts rolling at around 20, and uses all
the extra bandwith to avoid making the filter steeper and messing the
'audible' audio. Just a guess. I would guess most music recording
interfaces do this.

Cheers,
Andrés