Re[2]: [linux-audio-user] xruns with QJackCtl getting overloaded?

From: nescivi <nescivi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 10:56:45 EET

Hi,

JB> 2. Xruns created by battery polls: I don't know if this is the same
JB> problem that you are experiencing, but I used to run the gnome battstat
JB> applet on my gnome panel. It took me a while to diagnose that this was
JB> causing a lot of xruns, presumably every time it checks the battery
JB> status. You might want to check that you don't have any status applets
JB> running. You might also want to check that you don't have the kacpid
JB> bug (check google for this).

This is probably the reason that I get xruns, and I suppose I should
find a solution for that (does anyone else have the problem on a
ThinkPad R51, 2.4.26 (debian) kernel?)

But the main thing that is annoying, that even when I have no audible
problem with this, QJackCtl (the GUI) is totally overloading the
system, as it wants to tell me constantly about this xruns.
I would like to know whether it would be possible to make it so that
the GUI would not get a signal for each xrun, but instead, if they
happen too often, only a signal once in a while. I think it should be
possible to create something in the interface, so that it only updates
once every 25 ms or 50 ms. That way it will not overload the system.
That way, I would still get the info from QJackCtl that there are a
lot of xruns, but I will still be able to do something about it,
without getting frustrated trying to move the mouse pointer around to
do so. I mean, I will not be able to read the info about each xrun at
the precise ms. so it can come a bit later and grouped. GUI updates
when they happen too often take a lot of processing time, so it would
be better to limit them in this case.

Sincerely,
Marije