Re: [linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Sun Jan 16 2005 - 19:20:13 EET

Mark,

> They don't match up. The fast
> machine sends the slow machine 44101 packets, but the slow
> machine cannot use two of them every second. The slow
> machine sends the fast one 44099 packets per second but the
> fast one feels starved for two mare packets that it will
> not receive.

thanks for pointing this out and sorry for my ignorance ;-) .

Ignoring the effect that IP has no guaranteed response times,
wouldn't it be possible that the both jack client which do
the streaming could (theoretically) do something like
realtime dynamic sample rate conversion to sync both signals
together?

Video players do drop or insert a frame if audio drifts from
the video signal. Perhaps the streaming jack clients could do
a similar thing.

I know that this would be a dirty hack because it would
falsify the audio signal a bit, but it would enable audio
over networks 8-P .

 Best regards

    ce