Re: [linux-audio-user] Raton

From: Peter Brinkmann <brinkman@email-addr-hidden-berlin.de>
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 01:04:41 EET

> So how would Raton-Conductor work? Again, not as simple as it sounds.
> Minimally, one would move the mouse in a ecliptic (or circular) motion (as
> suggested by MagicBaton's instructions for beginners). The size of the
> vertical diameter (or average diameter) would be the volume/expression and
> tempo or time-codes set by the change in vertical direction from down to up.
> Real conducting patterns are more complex but these two principals would more
> or less remain.
I recently created a Python module that taps right into the ALSA sequencer,
and it makes it possible to build MIDI applications very quickly. Your
suggestion sounds like a neat project to do with such Python techniques,
but I'm afraid I don't fully understand it yet (I tried googling for
MagicBaton, but all pertinent websites seem to point back to a defunct
product page).

So, the idea is to conduct something using mouse motions, but what exactly
are you conducting? Are you affecting the way a .mid file is played, or
does MagicBaton provide some sort of virtual orchestra, or what...?
Cheers,
    Peter