[linux-audio-user] [Pavel.Vondricka@email-addr-hidden: Re: Novation X-station and linux]

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 20:47:13 EET

Forwarding to Linux Audio Users. I'll respond to this from home later.
-edrz

----- Forwarded message from Pavel Vondricka <Pavel.Vondricka@email-addr-hidden> -----

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:40:54 +0100
From: Pavel Vondricka <Pavel.Vondricka@email-addr-hidden>
Subject: Re: Novation X-station and linux
To: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden>
Cc: clemens@email-addr-hidden

Thank you very much, I'm thinking about buying the 61-key version which is
supposed to come out no sooner than in 5 or 6 weeks, if the producer keeps
his word. I'm happy to hear that there is a patch and there is the "will".
Then I suppose we could lose the situation together anyway, sooner or later,
as it would be a VERY bad idea if had to try to hack the driver myself with
my little experience :-)).

Then I suppose if Clemens got the complete documentation to their protocol and
if there are no problems with the implementation, it must work cleanly (soon
if not now). I'd like to know how much is it different from the standard (and
may be why? more functions?). Did you got from Clemens a patch for the
usb-audio driver only or did he make a completely new, separate driver
specially for novation devices?

BTW, I've also seen some message about problems with the audio (someone
couldn't switch from 24-bit to 16-bit audio, if I did understand it well) -
have you tried the USB audio at least, is the problem solved or are there any
other problems with the device than just the MIDI connection? What about
uploading new firmware or storing configurations of the device in the
computer? (Maybe, this is possible even through the MIDI communication? Then
even through the working MIDI-through-USB communication?)

Best regards,
Pavel

P.S.: Maybe a better idea that to ask here all the questions about the driver:
If you would be so kind, could you send me the patch as well? I cannot test
it now, but I'm just curious how complicated it is and how many differences
there are (if I manage to make some ideas of it myself, at least ;-)).
Thanks.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Engineer I
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia