Re: [linux-audio-user] multiband compression with ecasound and ladspa

From: Mario Lang <mlang@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 18:47:34 EET

Janina Sajka <janina@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> Jack O'Quin writes:
>> Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de> writes:
>>
>> > It would work with ecasound in the same way, very perfectly! BUT: I
>> > am blind! So I can't use jamin, if jamin doesn't have the ncurses
>> > interface the Jamin people where thinking about. Does it have that?
>>
>> Sorry for misunderstanding, Julien.
>>
>> No, JAMin has a purely visual GTK-2 graphical interface.
>
> So, all may not be lost in terms of an "eyes-free" interface.
>
> Julien: Have you tried with Gnopernicus? Or with Orca?
>
> I would try this myself, but I'm about to leave for a conference. I'll
> see if I can get one of the handful of folks who've gotten comfortable
> with Gnopernicus to take a look. It would be cool if Jammin turns out to
> be accessible, without anyone knowing it. That is possible because of
> the use of GTK2. If the widgets used are standard GTK2 it either already
> is, or could easily be made so by providing object properties data.
>

>> After release 1.0, we have talked about decoupling the GUI from the
>> DSP engine, perhaps expanding on our existing OSC support for scene
>> changes. This would probably provide a better way to provide more
>> accessible interfaces. I think it's a good idea. But, that won't
>> happen any time soon.
>
> Actually, by using--if you have stuck with--stock GTK2 widgets, you may
> have already achieved this. Wouldn't that be something?

Janina, I certainly understand your point, but I also think there
is a danger here. We shouldn't tell people that if they *only* use
GTK2, all is well. After all, I still prefer the text based
user interfaces very much above using Gnopernicus and GNOME. I wouldn't
like if GNOME accessibility ment that flexible program design goes
down the drain.

Jack, I really like the idea of expanding on the OSC interface and making
parameters OSC controllable, that allows for easy scripting and
remote control from whatever app you might end up needing it.

That said, yes, it is wonderful that GTK2 now offers some sort
of accessibility support, but I am not convinced that this is
the best we can get. The UNIX idea, keep it simple and flexible, is
what fascinates me about Linux/Unix apps, not "a desktop".
In fact, judging from my personal taste, I am not sure if I am going
to use GNOME for much else than running Mozilla (if that ever
starts to be useful). I still feel that using a classical GUI
if you are blind is an error per design. True, it might be a good workaround,
but it is in no way the ideal interface. And it wastes CPU cycles,
maybe even increases latency, to use all the overhead...

--
CYa,
  Mario