Re: [linux-audio-user] Radio broadcast linux users?

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 00:38:28 EET

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 02:57:58PM -0600, Ernie Dulanowsky wrote:
> I currently volunteer at a community radio station that uses Windows.
> I'd like to
> try to get them to switch, but it would have to be really painless.
> Are you actually using Linux programs to do logging and such, and if
> so, which programs.
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:04:28 -0500, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki
> <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Is anyone else here working at a radio station that uses linux? I know
> > of Fred Gleason at Salem Radio Labs, and of course my employer Radio
> > Free Asia. I know there have been others from the broadcast world on the
> > various linux audio lists in the past, but can't remember names or where
> > they worked.

http://techweb.rfa.org/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=8&Itemid=26

RBOSS is the umbrella project for the programs that have been developed
here at RFA. They are mostly written in python and use mysql. An
overview of each is available here:
http://techweb.rfa.org/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=115

There is a central authentication app that the others tie into. The
functions served by these others include: 1) preparing and storing
program schedules, 2) parsing news feeds from the wire services, 3)
reporter upload of sound bites from the field, i.e. actualities. All
have browser based interfaces.

We also have a number of utilities for automating audio file conversions
and other aspects of the operation. Our mp3 archives are handled by
linux servers as well.

While Linux and Free Software have served our operation well on the
server side of things, our broadcast production chain is almost entirely
proprietary systems. I hope to encourage change towards using more linux
based solutions in time. In general the environment here is promising
for future change in that direction.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Engineer I
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia