[linux-audio-user] stable? Ardour on debian

From: Tobias Ulbricht <up5a@email-addr-hidden-karlsruhe.de>
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 11:52:18 EET

Hello LAD.

Finally I'm back on this list and recording some music.
After listening to your recordings and reading that you use ardour extensively, I wonder what your experience concerning stability of ardour is.
I'm using the debian unstable package, with the versions:

Ardour/GTK 0.548.1 running with libardour 0.851.1
jackd version 0.99.0 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 13

Well, I tried several configurations with jackd up to high latencies.
But ardour regularly crashes, while editing, inserting plugins or handling connections, or just playing back.
Sometimes its ketting "Killed", sometimes it segfaults.

* Is that still normal?

* Is 256 MB RAM / 1 GHz Celeron not enough power for 2-5 simultaneous tracks?

Otherwise it records fine (using an Audiophile 2496) and does not crash very often when recording.
Greetings to all of you, developers/musicians.
Tobias.