Re: [linux-audio-user] XFS on FC2; experiences, pointers?

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 21:57:59 EET

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 10:40 -0500, Rick B wrote:

> From what I've read XFS main strong point is *reading* data from the
> disk faster than other FSs', especially as it pertains to large video
> files. But when it comes to writing and deleting, its performance is
> worse than other FSes. I've personally tried it and it didn't seem any
> faster than ReiserFS.

Actually, XFS is very fast at deleting very large files. I know, i do
DVD authoring all the time, Ext3 is simply ludicrous when deleting a lot
of very large project files, you have to wait and wait and wait... With
XFS, even a 50GB project gets deleted instantaneously.

Also, when writing real fast to really big files (think: video capture)
pretty much nothing beats XFS.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/