Re: [linux-audio-user] emu10k1 multichannel support

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 03:03:32 EET

Lee Revell wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 10:19 +1100, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
>

>>Lee Revell wrote:
>>

>>>You're sure you have the correct ALSA modules loaded? Maybe you have
>>>ALSA modules built into the kernel that are interfering. Or maybe you
>>>need to run the snddevices.sh script.
>>>
>>>What is in /proc/asound/devices?
>>>

>>[mrmachine@email-addr-hidden mrmachine]$ cat /proc/asound/devices
>> 4: [0- 0]: hardware dependent
>> 8: [0- 0]: raw midi
>> 18: [0- 2]: digital audio playback
>> 26: [0- 2]: digital audio capture
>> 25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
>> 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
>> 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
>> 0: [0- 0]: ctl
>> 1: : sequencer
>> 6: [0- 2]: hardware dependent
>> 9: [0- 1]: raw midi
>> 10: [0- 2]: raw midi
>> 33: : timer
>>

>That's wrong. You must have ALSA built into your kernel and it's
>interfering. Or you didn't apply the patch correctly. It should look
>like this:

what's the proper way to apply the patch?

i cd'd to the alsa-driver source directory and did this:

"patch -p1 < ../emu10k1-multichannel-v002.patch"

and it gave output saying that it patched successfully.

then i did "make; sudo make install", ran the snddevices script, then ran:

"/sbin/modprobe snd-emu10k1;/sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss;/sbin/modprobe
snd-mixer-oss;/sbin/modprobe snd-seq-oss"

i'm using a fedora core 2 planet ccrma installation - the ccrma stuff
was installed over my original fc2 install via apt ... i think the
default fc2 install compiles alsa into the kernel, but the ccrma
packages build alsa as a module?

but, then again, i'm using the ccrma patched 2.6.10 kernel, so i don't
think that alsa would have been compiled into that version ...

maybe my problem was only re-compiling and installing the alsa-driver
package and not the others as well?

shayne