Re: [linux-audio-user] XFS on FC2; experiences, pointers?

From: R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 06:02:28 EET

--- Rick Taylor <ricktaylor@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 11:57 -0800, Florin Andrei
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 10:40 -0500, Rick B wrote:
> >
> > > From what I've read XFS main strong point is
> *reading* data from the
> > > disk faster than other FSs', especially as it
> pertains to large video
> > > files. But when it comes to writing and
> deleting, its performance is
> > > worse than other FSes. I've personally tried it
> and it didn't seem any
> > > faster than ReiserFS.

After extensive use of ReiserFS on a hardware raid5
array I'm in the process of cleaning off the array and
reformating as ext2. ReiserFS absolutely didn't hold
up for write or read operations while using Ardour
with 16 or more tracks. I'm not interested in testing
the new ReiserFS because all my data is critical. I
don't have time to benchmark performance.

I've never tested XFS and probably won't until I
upgrade to the 2.6 kernels and then I'll wait to hear
from people who are reading and writing 16 to 24+
tracks.

I'm hesitant about returning to ext2 because I've had
fsck blow up in my face more than once...guess that's
why I rsync to a big IDE HD. I do expect ext2
performance to be perfectly acceptable.

ron